2022 Chemical Dependency & Prescription Writing
By Douglas Dixon, DMD, MSD, PHD, MACSD
Valid Through: 10/07/2025
1. According to the National Center for Drug Abuse Statistics, how many high school students admit to using illegal drugs by the time they graduate high school?
2. Each year in the US, approximately 117,000 individuals are introduced into the use of what illegal drug?
Underage alcohol consumption
3. Studies from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report that during the pandemic, a spike in fatalities of up to 15% was seen in the first 3 months of 2020 as compared to the same 3-month span in 2019.
4. Which of the following were listed as “factors that may have contributed” to the significant spike in substance abuse in the US during the pandemic?
None of the Above
All of the Above
5. The practice of “self-medicating”, where an individual uses or re-uses medication without proper medical consultation is a problem only seen in the US.
6. Of those individuals using recreational drugs or alcohol remotely during the workday, what was the percentage of these individuals polled that stated they would miss the opportunity to use drugs if they were forced to go back to the office?
7. According to the US National Safety Council, it is more likely to die from an accidental opioid overdose than from a motor vehicle accident.
8. According to the available research regarding individual susceptibility for substance use disorders, which of the following was suggested to one that may have the highest predictive risk for developing a disorder?
An environmental risk factor like easy access to illegal drugs
A personal risk factor like a family history of drug abuse
Incomplete prefrontal cortex development in the brain during the adolescent years
Low involvement in school activities
Current mental health issues
Heavy advertisement for products to both youths and adults
9. In Tennessee, what is the recommended query timeframe that providers should follow when using the TN Controlled Substance Monitoring Database Program (CSMD) when requesting information regarding patients' prescription history for Schedule II-IV type drugs
During a new patient procedure that would require pain management drugs
When issuing a new prescription within the first 90 days of treatment
Every 6 months if controlled medication is being prescribed during therapy
None of the above
All of the above
TDA Main Site
Copyright © 2024 Tennessee Dental Association.
Reproduction or republication strictly prohibited without prior written permission.
Built by One Eleven